Monday, September 19, 2005

Cup competitions

My football team won a cup tie away from home on Saturday. No big deal. They were expected to win as it was against a club from a lower division. I knew our record in this competition was bad but I've just looked at their results in my lifetime (40 years). In that time we have only reached the third round of this competition on three occasions. OK, on one of those occasions we went on and won the cup. But three times in 40 years is dreadful. Especially as we've reached the 5th round and 6th round of the national competition quite a few times just in the last 15 years. Yet this cup, which has a third amount of teams as the national competition we have never done as well.
This cup began in 1927 (I won't bore you with the details of WHY it began) and it took my club (deliberately leaving the club name out) until 1947 before they won a game.
No game on saturday. What am I going to do? I could always look for a pair of rubber gloves and get friendly with Angus Kilroy.

No comments: