Friday, August 26, 2005

an ignorant git

Cycling home tonight I met a right ignorant git of an old woman. There is a path I cycle along which is not an actual cycle path. In fact there is a no cycling sign about a mile away at the start of this path.....but no such sign at the end of the path - the direction from where I was coming from. As a result of this any time I see people in front of me on the path I will move onto the grass at the side of the path out of their way. There is a bridge over a small stream so there is no grass for me to cycle on. Coming towards me were what looked like a woman with her mother pushing what I presume was her grandchild in a pushchair. They had a dog with them so I slowed down and in fact stopped and went by them pushing the bike along with my feet. The mother of the child said "sorry" to me as I went by as her dog had caused me to stop cycling. I could have continued but I put the safety of her dog first and wewnt slow. What annoyed me next was the gran pushing the chair in front of her snapped at me "well I'm not sorry - it's not a cycle path". Did she really have to say that? OK - at the moment it's not acycle path but North Ayrshire Council are keen to join this path up with another cycle path and so join up the whole region in a cycle path - this is the last part that doesn't have an official cycle path.
Getting back to this ignorant git - if I had accepted this was not an official cycle path - what was I to do. Get off my bike and walk this short distance. This would have meant me walking alongside my bike and so preventing her from walking across the bridge at the same time compared to me cycling and not taking up so much space.
When you read in the papers of old ladies being murdered for no apparent reason - well I wonder if they had just made some sarcastic remark to their murderer. If I didn't suffer from SA I would have given her abuse. Probably an old fart that's voted Tory all her life.

No comments: