Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Defragmenting

Started to defragment my computer at 11am today. 40 minutes later and it hasn't got beyond 10% yet. That's usually the first hurdle. So I'm guessing this is going to be a long one. I'm betting on 36 hours. From memory I think the last one was around 32 hours. I tell a lie. I did another defrag shortly after that mammoth one and it only took 8 hours or so. And that last 5% takes forever.
Update : after 47 minutes it changed to 11% and at 54 minutes it is still 11%. So by my calculation it should only take just over 7 hours. If only it were as simple as that. I wish there was something to indicate approximate time left. I'm still betting on 36 hours.
Second update : after 1 hour and 8 minutes it is 12%......getting up towards 9½ hours now if it was based on this. Thankfully I'm going to work now and won't be updating every % increase.
Think I'll need to start buying computer magazines as I prepare to buy a new computer.
Third update : I know I should have gone to work by now. At 12:54pm it reached 13% but it keeps going back to the start....although it quickly returns to where it was. Worrying when you notice it for the first time. Maybe the 36 hours prediction was too short.
Fourth and final update : Well, I get home from work about 9pm and the first thing I see is the monitor is showing the desktop - when it should be showing defrag either continuing or at most the defrag finished screen. Bugger me - it has failed. Need to try again tomorrow morning. Bugger.

2 comments:

me-luv-pandas said...

what the heck is defragmenting? sounds blimmin boring whatever it is !

theesel1994 said...

It is - extremely boring. If I attempt defragmenting again I'll take a picture of the screen to show you just how boring it is.

It is meant to make your computer run a bit faster. All your files get jumbled up - defragmenting arranges them properly gain. Probably a wrong explanation. You're meant to do it every month or so - I do it every couple of years if I'm lucky.