Tuesday, July 12, 2005

What's going on in the world today?

I can't believe what I'm hearing on the news tonight. A 14 year old is accused of raping a 7 year old, two 8 year olds and is also accused of sexually assaulting a 10 year old. Not even over a period of a few weeks - he tempted all four girls to leave the playground where they were playing to a more secluded part of the park. Also, on the day of the London bombings a 10 year old girl was found by her grandfather murdered not far from where she lived. She had been beaten to death. Police want to speak to two boys she was seen playing (football I think) with earlier. A couple of months ago a 12 year old girl was accused (in the press) of attempting to hang a 5 year old boy. I know kids have been raped/murdered (by adults) since the beginning of time but now kids are being accused of these things with greater regularity than I can remember. Maybe the reporting of these things is getting better because of faster communications but I definitely think things are getting worse.

Maybe I was just more innocent at that age - but things like that didn't even enter into my head.

No comments: